Since 1964, our brownstone has been filled with faculty, students, families, and staff ready for lessons, recitals, master classes, and other events. Family engagement has played an integral part in the social and musical development of our students. Other programs that help foster community engagement are our sharing hours, community festivals, studio recitals, and Performathon, bringing students and their families together.
Bloomingdale owes its success to its dedicated faculty and staff.
Our faculty and staff have been extremely instrumental in transitioning our students through the global pandemic and adjusting to the new normal. We hope to be able to provide the technology to aid hybrid teaching and working environments.
A core element of our mission is engaging our community and neighbors to increase our impact outside of our school.
By bringing our services to different organizations and community events, we hope to collaborate more with members in the UWS and Harlem communities through school & community partnerships, sponsorships, special events and outreach.
Bloomingdale strives to build new and diverse programs. With your support we can:
- Expand our Early Childhood Department With the majority of newborns struggling with the lack of socialization in their early stages in life, Bloomingdale understands that music education for babies not only provides opportunities for children to connect, but helps the body and the mind work together. Bloomingdale will build a robust Early Childhood Education Department to instill the values and disciplines of music education in the early stages of life.
- Create a dedicated jazz program Jazz has all the elements of music: it has melody, harmony and introduces a special element called improvisation. As one of the major forms of musical expression in traditional and popular music today, we will expand our jazz offerings into a staple program at Bloomingdale.
- Grow our vocal department Bloomingdale will build out our vocal offerings. The voice is the first accessible instrument and work done in choral/vocal ensembles builds towards the work being done in private lessons in any other instruments.
Bloomingdale must improve and adapt our operating infrastructure to meet the evolving needs of our community. With your donation, we can:
- Create a safe and welcoming environment for our students and families by improving our building.
- Technology will continue to play a large role in the way we work together. We plan to invest in equipment and software allow us to allow us to efficiently do our work with less technology barriers.
- Develop system resources to allow our team to provide additional accessibility to our programs, our teachers to utilize technology in teaching, and to support our staff in collaborating more efficiently.
- Invest in faculty and staff who are the heart of our programs.
- Improve instrument inventory & storage systems
Our community means the world to us. Help us increase our impact in the community we serve as we:
- Create a safe and welcoming and accessible building for our students and families, and guests.
- Increase our rental revenue stream by allowing us to provide quality rental spaces to the Northern Manhattan community.
- Offer more diverse and engaging opportunities for our school to engage with the community.
- Develop more meaningful partnerships with other organizations and local businesses.
- Provide musical performances to our aging community.
- Enhance accessibility improve our the quality of our concert offerings through live-streaming.
- Provide more multi-generational opportunities for families to come together to engage in musical activities.
- Give our students and faculty more performance opportunities through our concert series and ensembles/department festivals.